Forum

Basic setup help?

Basic setup help?  

RSS

CaptainKoloth
(@captainkoloth)
14/10/2019 1:58 am  

This is kind of embarrassing, but as a Windows user drawn to this for compatibility, I find myself somewhat baffled during setup never having used Linux or Wine before... are there any very basic tutorials as to how I can get this up and running with some programs? 

James Bryant
(@admin)
Member Admin
14/10/2019 6:54 pm  

If you download the latest installer, you can just run the UI instead of using the command line.  You can drag a setup program on it to run it or drag a folder onto the UI to copy the folder into it.  Both will put the app into a "Container", which is a fancy way of saying that it will install it into a folder that Wine can use.  I would recommend one app per container, since there are configurations you can set at the container level, like in the container tab of the UI, you can right click on the container and run winecfg, this will let you change the Windows version wine returns if the app requires Windows 95/98 in order to run.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKoloth
(@captainkoloth)
14/10/2019 7:22 pm  
Posted by: @admin

If you download the latest installer, you can just run the UI instead of using the command line.  You can drag a setup program on it to run it or drag a folder onto the UI to copy the folder into it.  Both will put the app into a "Container", which is a fancy way of saying that it will install it into a folder that Wine can use.  I would recommend one app per container, since there are configurations you can set at the container level, like in the container tab of the UI, you can right click on the container and run winecfg, this will let you change the Windows version wine returns if the app requires Windows 95/98 in order to run.

Thanks! Is the container itself a folder stored somewhere in Windows?

ReplyQuote
James Bryant
(@admin)
Member Admin
14/10/2019 7:26 pm  

Yes, if you go to settings, it will show you the location of the containers folder, see the attached screen shot.

This post was modified 1 month ago by James Bryant

ReplyQuote
CaptainKoloth
(@captainkoloth)
15/10/2019 3:11 am  

Can I mount disc images?

ReplyQuote
James Bryant
(@admin)
Member Admin
15/10/2019 3:33 am  

You can, but only from the command line

-mount_drive "c:\my games" d

This will mount the folder "c:\my games" on your computer and the emulated windows system (Wine) will see it as drive d:

You could mount an iso in windows and then use that command to mount it in Wine, but currently Boxedwine does not mount images directly.  It's a good idea for the future, something like what Dosbox does.

This does give me the idea that I should add directory mounting in the UI.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKoloth
(@captainkoloth)
15/10/2019 3:33 am  

Thanks! This has so much great potential! I did manage to get some demos working.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register